June 23, 2010

Earthquake!

There was an earthquake in Ottawa, Canada today around 1:40 p.m.

I was at work and I thought maybe I was having a moment of vertigo, or perhaps, the girl standing near my desk was tapping the floor hard with her foot.  I didn't think too much about it until just moments later when two of my fellow employees walked in the office, and said, "Did you feel the earth move?"  The gym teacher (who happened to be in the gym by himself) called the office and said, "Did the building just shift, move or something like that?"  He said the doors rattled, and the floor swayed.

I called my parent across town to see if they felt it, and they hadn't.  We were starting to wonder if it was the over 100 year old building getting ready to sway and crumble, or....

One of the teachers came into the main office and stated that the local news channel had a notice up on their website stating that they also had felt the trembling.  They were investigating to see if it was a likely earthquake.  Apparently so!

You know, I lived in California, earthquake capitol of the world, for almost 10 years, and not once felt an earthquake.  I didn't even feel the rather large scale earthquake that postponed the World Series in 1989, even though I was less than 100 miles from the epicenter.

But I have experienced two earthquakes while living in upstate New York.  One occurred about 25 years ago right before hubby and I got married, and the other one was today!  Hmmm, interesting!

4 comments:

ehart said...

Uh-oh. I don't even want to know what conspiracy theorists will do with that last statement.

Every year Librarian goes over earthquake proceedures with the kids on the first rotation of school even though we haven't felt an earthquake in fly-over country in probably 200 years.

But then, I guess it never hurts to be prepared.

Laurie and Bill said...

Well, I did ask if we could have an early dismissal (the kids were already gone for the day), but no one was buying it!

Gill - That British Woman said...

at least it gave us all something to talk about on our blogs today!!

Gill in Canada

Laurie and Bill said...

LOL! Gill, that's true! So true!