December 31, 2008

Homemade (Frugal) Pancake Syrup Recipe

Disclaimer: If your family is adept at recognizing 'fake' maple syrup, this recipe might not be for you. But, if your family is less than expert at distinguishing 'fake', then by all means read on.

My family has a tendency to not become overly concerned with the fakeness of cheap, maple syrup. They usually are quite happy to pour on this cheap imitation of maple syrup and enjoy!

Hand Pours Syrup onto a Stack of Pancakes by Brian Gordon Green
Hand Pours Syrup onto a Stack of Pancakes


This is a recipe that I tweaked from Amy Dacyczyn (The Tightwad Gazette lady), which only costs 52 cents to make a 24 oz. jug.

Pancake Syrup

3 cups granulated sugar

1 1/2 cup water

3 tablespoons molasses

1 teaspoon vanilla (I use imitation, remember I'm cheap, cheap, cheap)

2 teaspoons butter flavoring (I omit, because it doesn't alter the taste, in my opinion...remember, I'm cheap, cheap, cheap)

1 teaspoon maple extract ( I use imitation here, too. I bet you can guess why, right?)


Bring all to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves (a good rolling boil) for approximately 3 minutes. Turn off burner, but leave pot on burner until bubbling stops.

Let cool, put in old, generic-brand syrup bottle. Let set overnight and your family probably won't be the wiser if you're used to buying the cheap, generic-brand in the first place.

One other thing I'd thought I would mention. The really elcheapo brand in the store uses high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS). Now, there is a lot of controversy about HFCS, but some say it contributes to obesity, coronary heart disease and diabetes 2.

So, I think with that thought, I'll stick to my 52 cent, dirt-cheap, sugar based syrup!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I have a son who's allergic to corn, I may try this omitting the maple flavoring as we use the real maple syrup as well as the regular "corn syrup" stuff.

My family can taste stale on a box of breakfast cereal that was opened 4 days ago and fold-wrapped shut immediately after opening. They are the taste police!!

Laurie and Bill said...

I hope it works for ya, E! I know that my family is not picky about syrup. They will eat just about anything on pancakes, waffles, french toast as long as it is sweet. This is sweet!

CookinsForMe said...

Laurie, this is similar to what I made years ago when the kids were little. My family was like yours apparently - they didn't seem concerned that it wasn't genuine maple syrup. A few years ago I got a small bottle of real maple syrup and you know what? It was gross! We ended up throwing it out after a year or two of it lingering. Yuck! So yeah, bring on the cheap homemade stuff!

BTW, the brisket rescue worked! It's quite edible now and I'm taking some to work with me and DH will have some while I'm gone. That reminds me - I have to put the blackeye peas in the slow cooker in the morning!

Laurie and Bill said...

We very seldom get real maple syrup, either! It's just soooo expensive and I live in Maple Syrup country!

I'm so glad that the brisket was rescued! Yipee! Persistence!

Anonymous said...

My hubby likes just about anything...I'm the picky one. How does this compare in taste to the store bought fake stuff, like Mrs. Butterworth's? I've never had "real" maple syrup in my life. I just checked and apparently Mrs. Butterworth's doesn't even have maple flavoring!

Laurie and Bill said...

Nicole, Mrs. Butterworth's might taste a bit richer. This is a little bit thinner in consistency, too. It's very sweet! Your hubby may not mind, but you might find it a bit 'cheaper' tasting. The longer it sits in the fridge the better it tastes.

You could always make a smaller batch and check it out.

Nicole said...

Thank you Laurie!

I'll try a small batch of this eventually. Probably have to wait until after my little guy is born. :)