December 15, 2008

Easy Homemade Pancake Recipe

Here is a pancake recipe that I've used for years. It's so easy that when my son was around 10 or 11 years old, he started making them all by himself for snacks.


Easy Pancake Recipe


1 egg
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons shorting, melted butter or margarine, or veg. oil (I use melted margarine)
1 tablespoon sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Beat egg with hand beater until fluffy; beat in remaining ingredients just until smooth. Grease heated griddle. Pour about 3 tablespoons batter from tip of large spoon or from pitcher onto hot griddle. Cook pancakes until puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook other side until golden brown.

There are many, many variations to this recipe, but my all time favorite variation is to use whole wheat/graham flour (I found this at Walmart), then add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar instead of 1 tablespoon of white sugar.

I also 'cheat' and use 3 tablespoons of baking powder. I know, it's a lot, but it really makes the whole wheat pancakes light and fluffy. Hubby says it tastes like cake!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohh, I like the sound of this! I will try it this week and let you know how the gang liked it. Dh can't stand waffles or pancakes that fall apart..that has been the issue for years and I really don't know why they crumble. Anyway, I have been looking for a good "chew" waffle recipe too this past week. Got one?

Laurie and Bill said...

I have a waffle recipe that I've used a few times before. It wasn't bad. I'll email it to you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lee! We love waffles here..It is sad that we have a place called the "Waffle House" down here that we have never even been to..lol
We were told that it is small in there and there is no non-smoking area...so that is why..I hear they make the best waffles though.

Jennifer said...

I've never like whole wheat pancakes, waffles, etc, but DH really likes it. We'll have to try adding the baking powder and see how it goes! Thanks!

Yankeegal: we love Waffle House. It is small, and there's no distinct separation between smoking and non-smoking, but the waffles are really tasty and it's a great place to get hash browns!

Anonymous said...

WOW, I just made your waffle recipe Lee! It ROCKS! We had company for breakfast and the recipe you gave me made 10 waffles!! It said 3 but maybe your waffle maker is different then ours. We just have a cheapo 10 dollar one from Walmart.It makes 2 square ones at a time..Anyway, the waffles were exactly the texture and chewiness that we were looking for. I used honey instead of sugar..that was the only difference.Thanks again. :o)

Jennifer: Thanks for the heads up on the Waffle House..Some day..:o)

Laurie and Bill said...

Michelle (Yankeegal - thought I'd stick that in there in case anyone is confused as to who you are! LOL!), So glad you liked the waffle recipe! We have a waffle iron that makes 4 at one time.

It's a hand me down from my mother. I remember that she had it when I was a kid. LOL! Seeing that tomorrow is my 48th birthday, I guess that makes it pretty OLD!

I might make a another post with the waffle recipe at a later date. Glad you liked it!