January 5, 2009

Meatloaf for Company?

Janelle's wonderful site about leftovers has inspired me to write a post about my meatloaf. She has some wonderful ideas!


Meatloaf for Company? you ask. Whenever someone is invited to my home for dinner, who has eaten my meatloaf, they usually beg me to make it! So I thought I would share. It's easy and basic, but oooh, so good.

I make a normal meatloaf mixture, but the twist is that I roll it out into a rectangle. I then lay any combination of numerous ingredients on top of the meatloaf rectangle as a filling, such as: ham, cheese, spinach, tomatoes, broccoli, or even mashed potatoes. You can use any kind of filling that your little heart desires. Obviously, I use ingredients that my family likes. In fact, hubby likes ham, cheese and spinach; whereas, I like broccoli and cheese. So, I use the mini loaf pans and make two, one each to our liking.

Then you roll the rectangle into a loaf, plop into the loaf pan and cook your meatloaf just as you would normally do.

Absolutely delicious and it's usually more filling than the normal meatloaf, so we always have leftovers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I never thought of making this at home before, I have tried it before rolled up with cheeses, onions and peppers. I think it was at a restaurant. I will try this tomorrow, as I have meatloaf scheduled for dinner tomorrow night. :o)

CookinsForMe said...

Laurie, I've eaten meatloaf prepared that way but haven't tried it. But this is now on my 'have to try this' list. Thanks!

This must be meatloaf week or something because there's a lot of blog talk about it! I even have a meatloaf casserole planned for this week.

Jennifer said...

My husband claims he vehemently hates meatloaf. I know he hasn't had it in a very long time and might actually like it if he gave it a chance. (My guess is his mom didn't make it very tasty.) Maybe putting cream cheese or one of your other suggestions in it will convince him to give it another try!

Anonymous said...

When I was a kid in school, the meatloaf was sooo bad that the only way any of us could eat it was by dipping it in our mashed potatoes and gravy. We all did it. You could literally look down a lunch table and see kids forking a bite of meatloaf, dipping it in the mashed potatoes then eating it.


By the time I was in high school, meatloaf was made topped it mashed potatoes and cheese. I decided they figured out that was the only way we would eat it, so they just started making it that way.

That's the way I make it now. Regular meatloaf (except that I put it in the microwave) then top it with hot mashed potatoes and shredded cheddar cheese.

I've never tried any of the other suggestions but if it will make a family eat it, it's worth a try.

My aunt made a dynamite meatloaf. I asked her for the recipe once and she said it depended on what she had in the fridge. It usually included peppers and was topped with tomato paste and bacon. It's probably the only time I would eat bacon with any other meat.

Laurie and Bill said...

The whole reason I adapted this recipe and came up with it was because DS hated meatloaf! He really hated it. He would eat it, but that's just the way he is. He eats lots of things that he doesn't like, just cuz he's ALWAYS hungry.

But, he does like this meatloaf!