December 7, 2008

Laurie's Venison Stew

Last night, I thought I'd try this new recipe. It's called Brunswick Stew. It was on Chocolatechic's blog a long time ago and it sounded so good. Here's the link to her blog with the recipe, which is listed on the right hand sidebar under "Recipes".

http://chocolatechic.wordpress.com/brunswick-stew/

But, I didn't check my cupboards before I started cooking. Uh, oh, I needed to substitute and change so much of it that I named it "Laurie's Venison Stew" and here is my variation:

Laurie's Venison Stew

3/4 - 1 pound of ground venison (mine has sweet sausage mixed in with the venison which
added an extra nice flavor) - so I would think 1/2 ground beef and 1/2 sweet sausage would work.
6 - 7 medium sized potatoes (diced)
2 large white onions (diced)
3 cups beef broth (or bouillon)
2 - 14 1/2 ounce cans of diced tomatoes
1 - 14 1/2 ounce can of black-eyed peas
salt and pepper to taste

Brown the ground venison (or ground beef and sausage). Remove from heat and set aside.

Add diced potatoes and onions to the 3 cups of beef broth (just enough to just cover the potatoes and onions) and boil until tender.

Add diced tomatoes, black-eyed peas, cooked ground venison, salt, and pepper. Heat through and serve.



This makes a pretty big pot of stew. It made about 5 quarts, so it's more than hubby and I could eat in one sitting. Leftovers for lunch tomorrow, then maybe I'll pop it in the freezer for a quick lunch on another day. This was absolutely delicious. Hubby kept saying over and over again, "This is so good." It sure warmed the bones after having a chilly, windy day.

No comments: