January 2, 2009

A Written Thank You

When I was a child, I remember one of the most important things my mother taught me at this time of year was to write a thank you to all the people that I received a gift from. This included teachers, relatives that lived far away and sent gifts (most of my relatives didn't live in the same state as we did), friends, neighbors; basically I had to write a thank you to everyone!

You all read, here, how I received all the chocolate from my co-workers. I also received other gifts from co-workers, family, friends, neighbors, etc. Each and every one of these people will receive a handwritten thank you from me. It may be something simple or it may be more elaborate, but they all will be written.

Sadly, I believe this is a piece of etiquette that is slowly being ignored. Notice I didn't say that it was being done away with, but ignored. I've checked all the etiquette gurus and they agree that a thank you is REQUIRED! It's not something that you choose whether you would like to do it or not, but etiquette dictates that it's proper to do this.

I have sent a hefty check for graduation gifts to my relatives children who I haven't even met before. No thank you. I have gone to weddings and given a large monetary gift to help the bride and groom start their life together. No thank you. I've given gifts to co-workers with no thank you. I've given gifts for baby showers, wedding showers, birthdays and every occasion under the sun. No thank you.

I feel that if a person takes the time and effort to obtain a gift and give it to you, you owe them a thank you. It doesn't always HAVE to be written. At Christmastime, I usually make sure to verbally thank my family for all the beautiful gifts that I receive. My son does the same. My husband does the same. I will say that the rest of family does the same. We don't always write a thank you for these instances, a verbal thank you suffices.

But, if I send a check to my nephew for his birthday, he writes me a thank you. If my son receives a check for his birthday or any other occasion, he writes a thank you. If there has not been an opportunity give a face to face thank you to someone a written note was sent out.

Truly, I wouldn't even mind a phone call to thank me. That works, too.

So, if someone takes the time to give you a gift, please remember to thank them one way or another.

6 comments:

CookinsForMe said...

Laurie, you're right that this little nicety is being ignored. My son and his new bride still haven't sent thank yous for the gifts they received when they got married...in August! Or maybe they have but I didn't get one. ;) I just think they haven't done it and it really irks me. It's just proper to do so! I, for one, do still send thank yous. :)

Ella said...

Laurie,
I totally agree. We were taught the very same thing.

Ginger said...

I Was never taught this as a kid and I struggle with it. I Think maybe I will make us some thank you cards and start sending them out to folks...

Laurie and Bill said...

Oh, Ginger, It's so good to see you:)

It's never too late to start.....

Janelle said...

Where's that meat loaf posting??
;-)

Jennifer said...

My mother taught us to write thank-you notes. My husband's mother never taught her children. When I write thank-you's to his grandparents, they usually write one back to thank me for thanking them!! I think it's because they're so surprised/impressed to receive one.

I agree with you that it's not an option, and handwritten ones are always better than typed, though anything's better than nothing at all!